Free Total Project Status Report Template

TPS ReportAs I study the collection and reporting of metrics and project statuses, I find many reports just do not deliver what they should. I believe there should be a stand-alone deliverable that a project manager is able to provide to a stakeholder at any time, illustrating the total project status.  I created a report and used the name “TPS Report” from the movie Office Space.  I try to interject a little humor into a project, where I can, without raising too many eyebrows.  Because I do not think I should keep all of the good stuff for myself, I hope others will download my free template.  It captures everything from overall project status to schedule, budget, scope, and quality, including a RAG (Red, Amber or Green) status.  What milestones were planned and accomplished?  What is planned for the next period?  Though I believe a subjective narrative does have its place in project reporting, I like the more objective approach.  Give your stakeholders the facts!
Please enjoy this free copy of  my Total Project Status Report Template.

I'm an Enterprise Agile Coach at LeadingAgile. I have a goal to take the hand waving out of Agile, Kanban, & Scrum. I’m a strange combination of a little OCD, a little ADHD, a lot of grit, and a lot of drive. I come from a traditional PM background but I don't give points for stuff done behind the scenes. The only thing that counts is what you get done and delivered. Author of Zombie Project Management (available on Amazon)

11 Responses to “Free Total Project Status Report Template”

1. Anonymous
    June 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Andrew, try now. The stylesheet was hiding the links. I added underlines so you could see them.

2. Senaygirma2010
    July 11, 2011 at 7:57 am

thx i have made use of this report format man

3. Amit
    November 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

thanks. this is what i was looking for.. its is really of great help.

Amit Yadav

November 17, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Amit, I’m glad it helped!

Best Regards,

4. Mariya
    February 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm

this is really good Derek. finally I have found the concised RAG template I was looking for. Thanks.

• derekhuether
      February 22, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I am so glad you could use it! Feel free to modify.

5. elperrofeliz
    February 28, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Thanks a great job, clean and effective

6. Mike
    November 21, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hi Derek, thanks for your RAG template. I have a question. In my line of job, the stakeholders would like to know improvement of the current status in a symbol form. For example. if the project status is Red which I used a red circle. How can I use another symbol to display if there is any improvement in the Red status?

• derekhuether
      November 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

Mike, I understand the need to keep this as visually simple as possible. I see your Service Level Agreements as drivers of the RAG. That said, there should be objective data behind the color status, illustrating the deviation of the ideal (green) state or the current reporting period.

I have two solutions to propose.

Solution 1: First, I would list the integer range for each colored status. That lets the reader know just how close you are to the other statuses Next, list the integer value next to or within the colored area. Because the last period is listed next the the current period, the reader can see the actual deviation from the last reporting period.

Solution 2: The current reporting period needs something that illustrates change, relative to the last reporting period. Just add a plus (+) or minus (-) symbol within the colored area. As you progress, you’ll see pluses and minuses that should align with other trending data.

Thank you for your question!
      I think I’ll have to blog about this one.

• Mike
        November 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hi Derek, thank you for your solutions!! This is great! I will use the plus (+) or minus (-) symbol within the colored area.

• derekhuether
          November 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’m glad I could help! I just spoke in Vancouver on the topic and loved it. Expect more blog posts on Visual Control Systems and an upcoming white paper on Organizational (Visual) Control Systems.