Washington DC #PMOT Tweetup

From left to right: @josephgruber @TheGreenPM @ProjectRecovery @derekhuether

The other night, I enjoyed the company of three awesome people who use the Twitter hashtag #pmot (project managers on Twitter).

It was nice to hear why someone else would blog about project management, why they would engage others on Twitter, or who they thought was interesting in the project management community.

We talked; we laughed; we shared stories.  What I found most intriguing was we weren’t all that different.

If you ever get a chance to attend a Tweetup, I say go for it!  It’s not like one of those swarmy networking events where someone you’ve never met walks up to you and hands you a business card.  These are people you’ve interacted with before.  You all have a similar interest.  You’re not there to sell anything.  You go, have a few drinks, and enjoy the company.  It was really nice to shake their hands, making that direct connection.  Though I enjoying singing praises of people on #FollowFriday or tweeting back and forth, it doesn’t top meeting them in person.

I hope I didn’t talk to much.  I get so excited, I sometimes can’t help myself.  Next time, I won’t drink the pot of coffee and will just listen.  Thank you Joseph, Jhaymee, and Michiko for a wonderful night.  And thank you again, Joseph, for picking up the tab!

Image courtesy of Michiko’s iPhone 🙂

8 Responses to “Washington DC #PMOT Tweetup”

1. March 12, 2010 at 11:42 am

Sounds like a wonderful networking idea. Well done.

March 12, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Thanks Shim,
      The credit goes to others in the crew. They arranged everything. I just attended.

I feel a little uncomfortable calling it a networking event, just the same as I wouldn’t call having a bar-b-que at my house a networking event. It was just a get-together, among a few people with similar interests. I’ve passed on a few general tweetups because they totally gave me the networking vibe. I’m not so much interested in networking. I like to interact with people on Twitter and enjoy the conversation.

• March 12, 2010 at 9:59 pm

That’s fine mate. I like the fact that you guys managed to leave your keyboards behind and actually meet face-to-face. This is a sign of maturity that it not necessarily found amongst many twitterers and bloggers. Great initiative and a sign of encouragement to other to follow in your footsteps.
        .-= Shim Marom´s last blog ..Deciphering the secrets of the WBS =-.

March 13, 2010 at 2:11 am

There are several more twitterers and bloggers here in the DC area that I would like to meet. I’m going to start asking to meet people for lunch. Again, I’m not trying to “network”. I just figure I can learn something new from every person I meet. It’s just so much more enjoyable eating and drinking with people. A LOL means a lot more when you’re right there with someone, sharing the moment.

2. March 12, 2010 at 4:42 am

Sounds like a wonderful networking idea. Well done.

March 12, 2010 at 5:28 am

Thanks Shim,

• March 12, 2010 at 2:59 pm

.-= Shim Marom´s last blog ..Deciphering the secrets of the WBS =-.

March 12, 2010 at 7:11 pm