PMI Stats for Jan 2011

The January 2011 Project Management Institute (PMI) statistics are in.  The PMI now has over 417,475 active Project Management Professionals (PMPs) and 340,232 members. So, what’s new?

We have a new certification announcement! In the event you were living in a cave for the last week, PMI announced the introduction of the Agile Project Professional (APP) certification.

PMI Certifications other than PMP

With the announcement of the APP, I empathize with those people out there with PMI certifications other than PMPs.  I feel like they’ve kind of been left in the lurch.  If you sum all of the “non-PMP” certifications for the month of January, there were only 246 recieved.

I added the APP to the chart, merely as a placeholder.  But, I do not doubt that it’s going to be PMI’s new shining star, as soon as they make it available.

January 2011 Totals:
Active PMPs: 417,475
PMI Members: 340,232
CAPM: 13,464
PMI-RMP: 622
PgMP: 521
PMI-SP: 418

PMPs and PMI member counts for January 2011

Source: PMI Today

7 Responses to “PMI Stats for Jan 2011”

1. March 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm

It’s interesting to see the growing disparity between members and PMP’s. Looks like more and more are getting their PMP’s just to have those three magic letters “TML (c)” instead of becoming part of the community.

March 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I think you make a very valid point. What PMI lacks is a tribe. PMI members don’t really have a culture or a community. A lot of people just want the score their letters and wash their hands of it. Since PMI doesn’t require you to be a member to get those magic letters, what is the value-add? Several people who have admitted to me that they are no longer members of PMI, said they canceled their memberships because it was too costly for what they were provided. PMI needs to do a better job of explaining the value a membership provides. It has to be more than just discounts to PMI events.

• Martijnwitteman
        March 8, 2012 at 2:39 am

Hi Derek,
        Would you know where to find statistics like these per country?
        Regards,
        Martijn

• derekhuether
          March 10, 2012 at 7:04 am

Martijn,
          Unfortunately, you would have to go directly to PMI for those statistics. I get my information from data PMI has published.

2. Daveandgab
    November 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Hi Derek,
    I’m looking for some information on project management, specifically up to date info and trends on a.) estimate number of project managers worldwide, b.) what sectors they work in, c.) education levels achieved (not just PMI but other Project Management courses), d.) how do people get into project management (e.g. internal company transfers/promotion vs study at uni, go straight into it), e.) organisation size they work in, years experience, e.g. senior vs entry level numbers plus general trends in project management and interesting research findings, like surveys from what industry/CEO’s on what they say about project management, issues,opportunities, what do we do well, where can we improve.

I’m doing my thesis, I’ve got some data, but its got gaops, I’m finding it hard to get statistical data on the profession.  Do you know where I can get it?
    Thanks
    Gabby

November 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I believe you could get it from a company like Gartner, though I think you’re going to wind up paying for the data.

• Michel
      June 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

Hi Gabby,

I am now struggling with the same (I am not writing a thesis, but I would like to know the distribution of PMP certified people across functional areas), so I was wondering if you could send me your thesis at michel.van_oordt@nsn.com or tell me where I can find the statistics you may have found? Regards, Michel